The Ocean at the End of the Lane: A Novel - Neil Gaiman

The package with my preordered signed copy showed up at 3:30 in the afternoon.  By 5:15 I had devoured the book.  I plan on reading it again, slower and with more care, I know I read this short novel very quickly.  It is nothing like American Gods or Neverwhere or really anything else but at the same time is quintessentially Gaiman.

It was like he reached into my brain and pulled out a beautiful nightmare.  Creepy yet endearing and sentimental with the clear logic of a lucid dream.

Later after another reading or two I may be able to put better words down, deliver more thought out or in depth revelations.  But I'm not sure that my doing so would not be a disservice.  Not everyone will love this novel, but if I were to try and contextualize and summarize this book for a future reader I would be giving my own context and perhaps tainting their own discovery.

This is a book about a man who was once, and perhaps may still be, a boy.  A boy with a family.  A boy who encounters the impossible, the unimagined.  This is the story of a boy who befriends three women and who visits a pond that is ocean enough when it needs to be.

Source: http://libromancersapprentice.blogspot.com/2013/06/book-review-ocean-at-end-of-lane.html