Peter S. Beagle & I, May 2015
Peter S. Beagle & I, May 2015

I found out the other week that one of my favorite authors was suffering from issues related to memory loss.  I had the pleasure of meeting Peter as part of The Last Unicorn screening tour.  He's a delightful person, highly intelligent, and with a wicked sense of humor.

Thanks to orders I placed that night I received communication regarding Peter's condition, namely, that it's not insignificant and not something he's going to be recovering from.  It looks like these issues came to light shortly after the tour stop I met him at, resulting in the rest of the tour being canceled.  They reached out to everyone who pre-ordered various items to update us because his health status means signing books for all the orders is completely out of the question.  Of course I'm sad that this means I won't have a signed copy of the Last Unicorn (I actually gave the copy I had with me to a girl who didn't have anything to get signed, since I was buying the hardcover as part of a larger package), but that's a minor thing.  I'm honestly distraught by the deterioration of such a wonderful person, and I think the recent death of Sir. Terry Pratchett makes it stand out even more.