It’s Only Slow Food Until You Try to Eat It: Misadventures of a Suburban Hunter Gather - Bill Heavey

In It's only slow food Heavey takes us along a journey of discovering what's in his own backyard, across the United States, and of growing one's own family in a witty and self-deprecating tale.

I won't lie, I have a soft spot for outdoors misadventure stories.  They often serve the dual purposes of education and entertainment.  And Bill Heavey has made a sucessful career out of telling exactly this type of story.

Perhaps the most enlightening part of this book for me was not that edibles are all around us (I've been using that trick to wierd out people for some 15 years), but instead bringing up drastically different ways of life encountered in his travels.  After reading this book I couldn't help but feel that we take so much for granted as necessary.  Maybe necessary for "mainstream" lifestyles, but far from necessary for a productive life.

Source: http://libromancersapprentice.blogspot.com/2013/04/book-review-its-only-slow-food-until.html