Sapphire Blue - G. Doucette

"Mara didn't like to think of herself as a girl very often.  She spent most of her life in an almost purely male-dominated field, and while she was certainly aware of how she looked -- archeology scholars who happened to be pretty and blond would always turn out to be pretty and blond first and scholarly second no matter how smart they sounded -- she didn't spend much time behaving like the ingenue she was clearly born to be.  With particularly evening being the notable exception.  But as she stood there staring at the gems, she couldn't help but swoon, just a little, at the thought of someone thinking enough of her to give her something even a fraction of the size of one of those stones."

Cause that's the way to keep women from getting ideas and delusions of grandeur, just give 'em a big shiny rock and *poof* no more silly ideas of professional success.  </sarcasm>

Actually my problem starts earlier in than that, and it certainly is true that women are often treated as if their gender comes before their profession and intelligence, particularly in science and research fields.  There's something about the whole paragraph that rubs my little tom-boy soul the wrong way - including the idea that you can't dress up nicely as a woman without looking girly (but then I might think some women are amazingly hot when they go dapper butch) and the idea that being feminine requires swooning at expensive jewelery.

On pg. 14, so there is still time for improvement.

Though from even earlier the male love interest is so tall he sounds like he would stand out at a gathering of NBA players.  Having dated some tall men (but not that tall), I feel the height part of the attraction is a bit understated.  Unless far more women than I realize LIKE being only as tall as his sternum and having to stand on on steps in order to kill him (while he bends down).